Wednesday, July 07, 2010

another great turn of phrase

In his discussion of the Son of Man in Luke's gospel, Benjamin Reynolds uses the following phrase (in italics). I'm not sure if this was intentional:
Also, the Son of Man's appearance on that day will be like lightning (17.24; cf. Matt 24.27), and as noted above, lightning is commonly associated with the appearance of God (Exod 19.16; 2 Sam 22.15//Ps 18.14; Ps 77.17–18; 97.4; Ezek 1.13; Hab 3.11; Zech 9.14). Strikingly, the Messiah in 2 Baruch is also depicted as lightning (53.8–9; 70.9–10). (emphasis added)1



1 Benjamin E. Reynolds, The Apocalyptic Son of Man in the Gospel of John (WUNT II 249; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2008), 75.

1 comment:

Benjamin Reynolds said...

I'm glad you liked that turn of phrase. To tell you the truth, I cannot remember if that was intentional or not, but it is the sort of thing I would do on purpose.

The lightning connection between 2 Baruch and Luke was something that did and still does intrigue me. I never explored it much more than to state its existence. Considering the lightning imagery in the OT, especially in the Psalms, it could be an interesting comparative study.

My Visual Bookshelf