Saturday, October 18, 2008

unicode question

I hate PCs. Life on my Mac is wonderful, and I can't understand why anyone would willingly subject themselves to owning and using a computer that decides for itself whether it will do what you ask it to do.

But some of my students are stiff-necked and uncircumcised of heart, and I find myself having to know how to explain to my sometimes hapless students how to manipulate their PCs into doing what it's been told.

But one thing I can't figure out for the life of me is how to make a circumflex accent [ᾶ] and a iota subscript [ᾳ] appear with the same character [as in ᾷ, which I've done on my Mac]. This is really easy on my Mac, but I can't get it on this PC I'm using at the moment. Any ideas?

8 comments:

Justin said...

copy and past?... and then purify yourself for using something as unclean as a PC.

joe_bray said...

ᾷ ...well it works on linux

Rafael said...

Okay, so Justin and Joe aren't very helpful!

:D

— or should that be:

:o(

Anonymous said...

real hackers use *nix...otherwise, "manipulating" their pcs is a matter of intelligence sir ( the pc only as intelligent as the user)...needless to say 95% of people in the world STILL and will continue to use PC because they are not so shackled every time they jump on it...Also, the only reason more people have trouble with their pc's is that MORE use them :-)

Anonymous said...

and to answer your question, on PC (XP) u can go to start-all programs-accessories-system tools-character map to view every single character your comp provides with key input too

Also, in Word 03 AND 07 u can go to "symbols"

and there are similar functions on other word processing programs as well, notepad, notepad++, corel, etc...

And, like I said...real gurus use freeware, Macs are basically good for dropping out of 3rd story windows, paper weights and maybe some video/sound editing...ty *bow

Anonymous said...

I think part of the problem is windows' lack of opentype support. MacOS allows the user to overlay multiple glyphs on top of each other for diacritical marks (and character substitution). That's why you can type option_ι + ῀ + α and get ᾷ. I don't know that the XP keyboard layout is that sophisticated. Basically, you probably need a new keyboard layout.

I'd like to see Microsoft support right-to-left fully opentype Hebrew fonts like SBL Hebrew. Not likely.

JACK

Anonymous said...

Rebuttal - Unicode Polytonic Greek Keyboard Map

http://www.biblicalgreek.org/links/fonts/keyboard.html

:-) it's not whether we have it, it's whether or not you're smart enough to find it

Anonymous said...

SBL Hebrew :-)

http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/fonts/HebrewKeyboard

My Visual Bookshelf